Man VS Train
It's history in a way you've never read before.

Warning: This post contains material that may be offensive to some.
Contains graphic material.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Freaky Friday Story . . . a little late. So there are several stories.

Peter Otterson
American Eagle 07/22/1904
Became bewildered and sprang onto the track in front of a backing engine.
Peter Otterson, aged 58, died at 10:40 this morning at the Ogden General Hospital, from injuries sustained by being crushed beneath the under-workings of engine No. 581, in the railroad yards at 7:40 this morning.
 The deceased hadn’t been long in the country, having but recently arrived from Denmark.  This morning the old gentleman was walking along the railroad track near the Twenty Seventh street crossing.  He stopped, facing southward, to tie his shoe string which had become loose.  Switch engine 581 with Engineer Hestmark at the throttle, had just left the Union Depot going south.  When the engine neared the street crossing, Foreman Bradley of the train crew saw the old gentleman in the stooping posture and yelled to him to get out of the road.  Otterson must have become bewildered and lost his head, for he jumped right in the middle of the track in front of the approaching tender.  He was knocked down, and immediately the engineer reversed his engine, but before he could stop it the tender and half of the engine had passed over the man.  The injured man was pulled out from under the engine and it was ascertained he hadn’t been touched by the wheels at all. The injuries which cause his death were the result of being crushed by the fire box and other low projecting parts of the engine and tender.  As soon as possible after being taken from under the engine, the injured man was taken to the hospital, where after suffering much pain from the internal injuries received, he passed away at 10:40 o’clock this morning.
 The switching crew of engine No 581 Is made up of Engineer Hestmark,  Fireman Murphy, Foreman Bradley,  Helpers Poorman and Baxter.
  The family of the deceased  lives at no 164 Twenty-Sixth Street.

                                                                                   Joseph Frew

Davis County Clipper 11/18/1904
Joseph Frew of Syracuse, Brother to County Commissioner William Frew, was one of the fourteen unfortunate persons who were killed in the terrible wreck on the U.P. just east of Granger Wyoming, at 9 o’clock, Saturday morning.  His body was badly crushed and mangled and his face disfigured.   His neck and back were broken.  After being extricated from the debris, the remains were laid out where the sun shone on them all day while other bodies were being taken out from under the wreck.  He was sitting in a chair car when the collision took place and it is thought he was thrown to the farther end of the car.
 The remains reached Ogden Monday evening and were taken to Hooper where the funeral services were held Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.  under the auspices of the A. O. U. W.
 Mr. Frew was forty-four years old. He was born in Franklin, Idaho, being the second child born in that town.  He spent most of his life, however, in Hooper.
Not quite two years ago, he moved to Syracuse, where he was making himself a fine home.  He was also engaged in the sheep business and was on his way home from Chicago where he had been to market some of them when he met with his sad fate.  He had also worked at the Syracuse and Roy Canning factories, being a mechanical engineer.  He was well liked and highly respected.    He leaves a wife and seven children.

Joseph Alexander Frew was born 10 July, 1860 in Franklin Idaho to Jane and John Frew.  Jane was born in Ireland and John was born in Scotland.   
John had died just a few months before Josephs accident.  In February of 1904. Joseph’s mother Jane had passed away when Joseph was only 12.
Joseph married Mary Ann Smith 11 February 1885 in Hooper Ut where his parents lived until their deaths.
Joseph’s wife Mary Ann died in at 68 years old in may of 1932

John C. Van Why
Ogden Standard 1904-05-07
In a collision in railroad yards between a switch engine and passenger coach
Dr. Tavner of Salt Lake is injured.  Engine is completely demolished.
In a wreck in the railroad yards at 7:0’clock last evening, John C. Van Why, an engineer for the Southern Pacific company, met with a frightful death by being crushed and scalded.  The accident happened on the Southern Pacific crossing of the Oregon Short Line track.
A car load of passengers also had a narrow escape from serious injuries.  Dr. Tavner of Salt Lake was injured about the small of the back.  The cause of the accident is probably due to the fact that engineer Van Why did not see the emphatic stop signals given to him.  The engine, No. 1036 Southern Pacific which he was running was struck by a passenger coach loaded with passengers and completely overturning the engine, crushing him between the tender and the boiler head where he was scalded to death by the breaking of a steam pipe, In the presence of about fifty people who were unable to go to his rescue on account of the great volume of steam.
The story of the accident is as follows; Union Pacific switch engine No. 1101 in charge of foreman Boyle, was pushing a number of passenger coaches over the right leg of the “y” preparatory to making up Union Pacific Train No. 4 east.  The cars were taken from Oregon Short Line train No. 11 from the north.  Engine 1036 was on her way to the U. P round house to have her fires cleaned before going to work for the night.  Switchman M. L. Hailey was riding on the front foot board of the engine for the purpose of opening any switches that might be closed against them, and seeing the oncoming train and realizing the danger began giving Van Why signals to stop shouting at the top of his voice but in vain.  Stepping off the footboard he again shouted to Van Why “for God’s sake get back”  The engine ran by him but a few feet when he heard Van Why reverse it but it was too late, for the engine was on the crossing square in the way of the oncoming train and the crash came, knocking the engine over on its side several feet to the west of the track.  Fireman Daily of the 1036 noticed the predicament and jumped in time to escape injury.
The scene that followed was one that can hardly be described, the screeching of the escaping steam from the demolished engine preventing any one from hearing the agonizing screams of the engineer who was pinned tightly in the ruins and no one dared attempt to save him.  General Yardmaster cunningham, Switcheman Satchell, Baxter and Hailey together with several others displayed great courage in trying to rescue the unfortunate man.  After the service of another engine were used in pulling away the tender and cab of the ill-fated engine, the body of the deadman was reached and removed to the yard office and later taken to Richey’s undertaking parlors.
The several employees and eye witnesses of the affair gave very graphic
accounts, Switchman Hailey giving the following statement:
I was following engine 1036.  Had orders to take her to U. P. round house to have her fire cleaned.  We were in S. P. Yard.  On approaching O. S. L. crossing saw No. 11’s connection backing down the right leg of the “Y”.  Was on the front end of our engine and gave the engineer a signal to stop, but for some cause he did not and ran over the crossing.  I got off and told him to back up and get out of the way of the other drew.  He had just reversed the engine and started her back when she was struck by the coaches and turned over, killing Van Why.
Switchman Satchell’s account of the affair is as follows;
“When we first started to work Van Why said ‘We will have to clean our fire the first thing’ I said all right go ahead.”  I told Hailey to take him around and get his fire cleaned and that is all I know about it.”
Switchman Baxter stated as follows:  “When we started to work I heard the engineer tell Foreman satchell that he wanted his fire cleaned and was told to go and have it done.  Switchman Satchell got on the front foot-board to take him in and I went down into the U. P. years with Satchell.  We went about twenty-five car lengths when we heard the crash and both went back as fast as possible and found Van Why caught between the cab and the boiler head.”
Fireman Dailey, who jumped, left the scene a few minutes after the accident  and his statement could not be procured.
In Union Pacific chair car No. 506 which struck the engine, the wildest confusion reigned, as it was thought that the car would turn over on its side.  However the car was turned partly over and remained in that position.  As soon as the car struck the engine the passengers all began rushing for the doors, and the sound of the escaping steam seemed to make them frantic.  Dr. Tavenor of Salt Lake received internal injuries about the small of the back.  The other passengers, outside of a good shaking up and a few slight bruises were not injured.
Everything possible was done by the train crews for the excited passengers.  Hurry up calls were sent in for physicians and surgeons and the ambulance, but it was found there was no need of them, for as soon as the excitement passed off it was found that there was only one case, that being Dr. Tavenore, who required attention.
The horror was witnessed by a large number of people who were at the Union Depot, and with in ten minutes after the collision occurred, several hundred people were upon the ground and later in the evening it required a detail of eight police officers to keep the crowd back so that the large steam wrecking crane, with a large force of men, could clear the track.
 Municipal Judge Howell together with the officers, visited the scene and an inquest  was ordered. The following jurors were summoned by Deputy Sheriff Seabring who was upon the ground:
L. H. Becraft, Tom Matthews and Robert Wilson.  The jurors viewed the remains of Engineer Van Why.
 John C. Van Why was about forty years of age and leaves a wife and a small family
residing at 2273 Adams Avenue.  He has been in the employ of the Southern Pacific Company for about four years.
 Dr. Tavenor’s injuries were considered such as to necessitate his being removed to the hospital.
Judge Howell states the inquest will take place either Monday or Tuesday probably on the latter date.( )

No comments:

Post a Comment